Keyword List Cleaner & Number Stripper
Why Create This Tool?
Some keyword sources provide data that is in a format that is hard to use. The goal of this tool is to make it easy to grab a list of keywords from just about any public source, clean it up, and sort it in order of which terms have the greatest potential value.
Step 1: Get a List of Keywords
Grab keywords from any of the following free sources, mix and match if you please :)
- your server logs or analytics products
- Wordtracker's free version
- Keyword Discovery's free version
- Google's Keyword tool - recommends keywords based on a word you enter, a website in general, or a specific web page
- SpyFU - scrapes Google and shows where sites have ranked and which keywords they are buying
- URL Trends - scrapes Google and shows where sites have ranked for some keywords
- related keyword suggestions from search engines
- there are plenty of other sources if you are creative...see my keyword research tool for links to a few other data sources, including rare ones like this one
Also consider the following paid sources:
- KeyCompete - tracks paid keyword ads of competitors
- Wordtracker - their paid tool offers more features than the free one
- Keyword Discovery - their paid tool offers more features than the free one
Step 2: Use Our Tool to Clean Up Your List
Our keyword list cleansing tool offers 4 functions:
- make alphanumeric
- strip numbers
- strip bad words (ie: poorly targeted words)
- strip any phrase containing a bad word
In a single pass you can use multiple functions by checking the associated check box.
Removes periods, commas, and crazy stuff like @#-*&%.
Removes the numbers 0 through 9 and the - symbol. This removes things like search counts.
Strip Bad Words:
Imagine that you have an artist fan site and do not want to target anyone looking for free or wallpaper. So you run your keyword list through this tool with the word free listed as a bad word. This will remove that word from any keyword phrases, while leaving the rest of the words in those phrases in tact.
Strip Any Phrase Containing a Bad Word:
Imagine that you use a tool like KeyCompete, and it returns some results that are related to your marketplace, but off topic to your niche site. This will trim out any keyword phrases that are far off topic. For example, if you wanted to remove wallpaper triggers from showing your ringtone ads.
Your cleaned up keyword list will display in the box you entered the original keyword list into.
Step 3: Use the Google Traffic Estimator to Find the Most Valuable Words and Phrases
- Log into Google AdWords, then go to the Google Traffic Estimator page.
- Upload your keyword list from our tool, and set the appropriate geographic region.
- Do not enter bid prices. Submit the form.
- If you do not enter bid prices they will return the bid range necessary for that keyword to rank #1 for 85% of search queries.
- Sort the results to show 500 results per page. Sort the results by search volume, bid price, or estimated daily spend to highlight the keywords which Google think are the most valuable.
Alternate Keyword List Cleaner
We recently obtained another keyword list cleaner, and this second one is much like the first...but also has a few advanced filters for:
- matching email lists
- making everything lower case
- removing dupliates
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Want more great SEO insights? Read our SEO blog to keep up with the latest search engine news, and subscribe to our SEO training program to get cutting edge tips we do not share with the general public. Our training program also offers exclusive SEO videos.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips