Free & Paid Search Engine Rank Checkers
Overview: These free and paid tools allow you to track where your websites rank in the search results for important keywords, and track those trends versus competing sites and/or against your own marketing efforts to better understand the effectiveness of your marketing.
Free Ranking Checkers
- Rank Checker - our free and fast Firefox extension which you can use to track your rankings over time.
Google Rank Checker Tools
These tools do not use the Google API, especially because Google rendered their API useless.
- Free Monitor from Google - downloadable tool from CleverStats which monitors website rankings
- ParaMeter - scrape Google PageRank values in bulk with this downloadable software. Useful for viewing the PageRank profile of a competing site.
Paid Rank Checking Tools
Tracking where you already rank does not alert you to potential areas of opportunity that you have not yet focused on, but it is easier to rank for keywords related to words you already rank well for than it is to rank for a whole new basket of keywords.
- Advanced Web Ranking - downloadable software from $99 per year, or in combination with Advanced Link Manager for $149. This is our favorite paid rank checking tool.
- Accurate Monitor for Search Engines - downloadable software from €99. Also has a lifetime license plan.
- Agent Web Ranking - downloadable software from $150 per year.
- Authority Labs - a web-based rank tracking tool.
- Rank Tracker - downloadable software for a $89 6-month license.
- SERPs.com - a web-based ranking tool similar to Authority Labs.
- Wincher - free weekly or paid daily Google rank checking.
- there are a number of newer cloud-based rank monitors like SEO Rank Monitor, Rankinity, Topvisor & Rank Ranger. AWR also has a cloud version.
Numerous popular competitive research tools also include a rank tracking feature as part of their services.
Install a Rank Checker on Your Own Web Server
This zip file can be unzipped and installed on any web server which is PHP enabled. It includes a basic rank checker, an advanced rank cheker, a multi-keyword rank checker, a multi-domain rank checker, and a few other goodies. As Google updates their search results it may break these files...but fixing them should only take a couple minutes for a freelance PHP programmer.Our self-hosted script has been discontinued, however you can find one for ~ $20 at Scriptalicious.
SERP Volatility Trackers
These tools track search results daily for thousands of keywords to track how much the search results have changed over the past day & how that change has compared against previous periods, making them helpful for determining if traffic shifts might be related to broader algorithmic changes, rather than something tied specifically to your site or web analytics implementation.
- Mozcast - shows SERP volatility as a weather, with higher temperatures being greater volatility. Includes metrics for top 10 sites, exact match domains & partial match domain names.
- SERPmetrics flux
From the Engines
- Google Webmaster Central - allows you to sign up for Google Sitemaps, shows some crawling errors, and a more complete view of your backlinks. Also shows keywords you rank well for and keywords that send you the most traffic.
- Bing Webmaster Tools - similar to Google's offering, but it also allows you to pull link data from competing websites.
- analytics tools - shows keywords that you already rank well for that drive traffic to your site
- keyword research tools - research new keywords to rank for
- competitive research tools - these tools will show you keywords sending traffic to competing websites
Know Any Other Tools Worth Suggesting?
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Your top competitors have been investing into their marketing strategy for years.
Now you can know exactly where they rank, pick off their best keywords, and track new opportunities as they emerge.
Explore the ranking profile of your competitors in Google and Bing today using SEMrush.
Enter a competing URL below to quickly gain access to their organic & paid search performance history - for free.
See where they rank & beat them!
- Comprehensive competitive data: research performance across organic search, AdWords, Bing ads, video, display ads, and more.
- Compare Across Channels: use someone's AdWords strategy to drive your SEO growth, or use their SEO strategy to invest in paid search.
- Global footprint: Tracks Google results for 120+ million keywords in many languages across 28 markets
- Historical performance data: going all the way back to last decade, before Panda and Penguin existed, so you can look for historical penalties and other potential ranking issues.
- Risk-free: Free trial & low monthly price.