Free & Paid Search Engine Rank Checkers
Overview: These free and paid tools allow you to track where your websites rank in the search results for important keywords, and track those trends versus competing sites and/or against your own marketing efforts to better understand the effectiveness of your marketing.
Free Ranking Checkers
- Rank Checker - our free and fast Firefox extension which you can use to track your rankings over time.
Google Rank Checker Tools
These tools do not use the Google API, especially because Google rendered their API virtually useless unless you have one of their old keys.
- Free Monitor from Google - downloadable tool from CleverStats which monitors website rankings
- ParaMeter - scrape Google PageRank values in bulk with this downloadable software. Useful for viewing the PageRank profile of a competing site.
Meta Search Engines
- Myriad Search - shows the search results from all 4 major search engines
- Zippy.co.uk - similar to above, but with more features
Install a Rank Checker on Your Own Site
- This zip file can be unzipped and installed on any web server which is PHP enabled. It includes a basic rank checker, an advanced rank cheker, a multi-keyword rank checker, a multi-domain rank checker, and a few other goodies. As Google updates their search results it may break these files...but fixing them should only take a couple minutes for a freelance PHP programmer.
Paid Rank Checking Tools
Tracking where you already rank does not alert you to potential areas of opportunity that you have not yet focused on, but it is easier to rank for keywords related to words you already rank well for than it is to rank for a whole new basket of keywords.
- Advanced Web Ranking - downloadable software from $99 per year, or in combination with Advanced Link Manager for $149. This is our favorite paid rank checking tool.
- Accurate Monitor for Search Engines - downloadable software from €99. Also has a lifetime license plan.
- Agent Web Ranking - downloadable software from $150 per year.
- Rank Tracker - downloadable software for a $89 6-month license.
From the Engines
- Google Webmaster Central - allows you to sign up for Google Sitemaps, shows some crawling errors, and a more complete view of your backlinks. Also shows keywords you rank well for and keywords that send you the most traffic.
- analytics tools - shows keywords that you already rank well for that drive traffic to your site
- keyword research tools - research new keywords to rank for
- competitive research tools - these tools will show you keywords sending traffic to competing websites
Know Any Other Tools Worth Suggesting?
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Want more great SEO insights? Read our SEO blog to keep up with the latest search engine news, and subscribe to our SEO training program to get cutting edge tips we do not share with the general public. Our training program also offers exclusive SEO videos.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips