More SEO & Webmaster Tools
Overview: This section includes links to additional SEO tools and other tools useful to webmasters.
- Industry conference calendar - keep up to date with the latest happenings in search
- SEO Blogs - there are a wide array of SEO related blogs. Lee Odden has a list of over 400 here.
- SEO Forums - more noisy than blogs, but it doesn't cost anything but time to read
- SEO Glossary - understand all the jargon seasoned SEOs are using on blogs and forums
- Robots.txt Primer - learn all about robots.txt files.
- Aweber / Mailchimp / Constant Contact - autoresponder and newsletter management
- SurveyGizmo / Wufoo / Google Docs forms / Excel forms / PollDaddy - surveys, forms & polls
- .htaccess tips - free information on how to use .htaccess to redirect pages or rewrite URLs
- ISAPI rewrite - URL manipulation tool for Microsoft IIS servers
- Server Header Checker - check server response
- Spider Test Tool - shows the page size, source code, meta tags, page title, textual copy of the page, keyword breakdown by density (including 2 and 3 word phrases), number of words, number of unique words, and outbound links on a page.
- Google Bookmarklet - This bookmarklet will display Google's search results for a term in a format that’s easier for copying.
- XML Sitemaps - makes free Google sitemaps for sites up to 500 pages in size. Sells a cheap and useful script to build sitemaps for larger site sizes.
- Xenu Link Sleuth - a website crawler tool
- Netpeak Spider - a Xenu alternative.
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider - similar to Xenu Link Sleuth with a lot more features. Free on smaller sites and has a paid premium version.
Tools from Search Engines & Other Sites Offering a Variety of Great SEO Tools
- Google Webmaster Central - allows you to sign up for Google Sitemaps, shows some crawling errors, and a more complete view of your backlinks.
- Bing webmaster tools - similar to Google's offering, but also provides backlink data for 3rd party websites
- Yandex webmaster tools
- SeoCompany - mostly lists tools from other sites, but lists over 100 of them
- Moz - has about a dozen tools. Some require membership, others do not.
- Internet Marketing Ninjas - has about a dozen and a half free tools.
- Nerdy Data - source code search engine
- Internet Archive - offers the wayback machine to see what a website or page looked like in the past.
- Cookie Search - see what cookies are left by various websites.
- Domain Tools - search historical whois data. Who.is is a a competing tool.
Other Useful Webmaster Tools
- Adobe Photoshop - image editing software
- Camtasia - video making software
- Carbonite - web based desktop backup tool available by subscription
- ClipMate - extend your IE clipboard
- Dreamweaver - HTML editing software with a built in FTP program
- FileZilla - a popular FTP program
- Drupal - a popular CMS & the one that powers SEOBook.com
- Firefox - a popular extensible browser
- Firefox Extensions - dress up your browser
- iDevAffiliate - the affiliate software powering the SeoBook affiliate program
- Macro Express - automate frequently performed tasks
- Roboform / LastPass - store your passwords
- SnagIt - paid screen capture software
- URLOpener - open a list of URLs in new tabs
- Google Docs - like Microsoft Office, but free, collaborative, and web based.
- Wordpress.org - free open source blogging software
- Themespress - create a Wordpress theme from a regular site design for only $10
The general tip here is start off wherever you like doing what you are comfortable with. As you gain experience and leverage move yourself up the value chain and increase your margins.
- Affiliate Programs - too many options to list, but you can start at sites like CJ, Linkshare, ClickBank, Shareasale, and move out from there.
- Google AdSense - Google's contextual ad program
- Media.net - another contextual ad company. Here's our review of Media.net
- Chitika - another contextual ad company
- Comparison of contextual ad programs (also includes linkes to various affiliate networks, content recommendation services, and so on)
Here's a short list of some of the places one can advertise, though there are hundreds of options available for various businesses in a broad array of categories
- Google AdWords
- Bing Ads
- Amazon Ads
- Yahoo! Stream Ads
- Facebook Ads
- Twitter Ads
- StumbleUpon Paid Discovery
Gain a Competitive Advantage Today
Want more great SEO insights? Read our SEO blog to keep up with the latest search engine news, and subscribe to our SEO training program to get cutting edge tips we do not share with the general public. Our training program also offers exclusive SEO videos.
- Over 100 training modules, covering topics like: keyword research, link building, site architecture, website monetization, pay per click ads, tracking results, and more.
- An exclusive interactive community forum
- Members only videos and tools
- Additional bonuses - like data spreadsheets, and money saving tips